Search This Blog

The Rock, The Stone, and The Sword

The Rock, The Stone, and The Sword
A nice pic from 1-word.com

Thursday, January 28, 2010

On Helping Others by Sheldon Fleming

Okay so I have always been one willing to help others. I can say that it’s a gift for God. It’s something that also stems from my mother’s hands helping out others as well.

Now I will admit, depending on the situation, helping others can be stressful at times based on the different topics a person has. I’ve had some that are very serious, touching topics while there have been ones that have been irrelevant or my favorite, the ones that I put in a category as TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!! I’ve had topics on love, religion, hatred, character, school, etc. There have been many times when I had topics that I couldn’t even comment on. That’s why I always tell a person if I can’t help them. No one wants to be lied to. I always have done my best though.

For the most part, I can say that all my wisdom comes from the Lord. I’ve prayed to God a while ago, after reading the Book of Solomon in the Bible, to give me wisdom to help others. He answered my prayer and also gave me a calling to preach.

One thing that a Christian is supposed to do is to help others. Why? It’s simple really. It’s like a equation:

Helping someone in need = A dream fulfilled

The Lord is the one who can make all of this possible…and he will.

Everyone wants to accomplish their dreams. God always opens doors. He opens the flood gates of heaven and sends down blessings like rain. I highly recommend you listening to the song titled “Let it Rain” by Bishop Paul S. Morton. Very good song!

I went to an evening service one time and heard Bishop Paul S. Morton preach and he himself said the key to success and achieving dreams is to help someone else achieve their dreams.

Another reason for helping people is to show that you aren’t a self-centered, cocky person. No one is too good to help somebody when they are in need. I like the saying “your feces smells bad just like everybody else’s” and that’s the truth.

I am extremely upset with people who aren’t willing to help put the elderly or the mentally challenged. What gives you the right to judge them? What if you become mentally challenged or disabled in someway? What would you do if it were your children? What will you do when you become elderly? Won’t you need the same help as they do? Wouldn’t you have feelings the same as they do? Think about it next time.

That is something that really kills me. Another thing is when you ask someone for help and they completely ignore you no matter how many times you ask them or try to reach them. For me, if I don’t get in touch with a person immediately, I do my best to get in touch with them as soon as I can. I always give my word. So to those who have my cell number, yes I do answer my voice mails as soon as I can. I don’t think I’ve ever had a person wait for any longer than a week. I always try to get a person back soon. Not ignore them. I know at my job, I assist people as soon as possible.

When a person is crying out for help such as a suicidal plea, one should be able to help them immediately. For me, I’ve had to actually convince someone to not commit suicide a few times. When they aren’t a Christian or Catholic, it’s very difficult because you can’t convince someone outside of that religion of the fact that they would immediately be sent to hell by God for ending their life. The Lord knows all that we do but at the same time, we can make a decision on our own.

So my point of this topic is that God has given us all the movement in the world to do many things. If you are able to help someone, please do it. You will get a blessing out of it. You never know what physical or mental state of mind you will be in one day. Therefore it makes no sense to be selfish and care for only yourself. Even if you aren’t meaning to ignore someone intentionally, remember actions speak louder than words to many people. It doesn’t take much to:

-Help the elderly walk

-Pick up / carry something for someone

-give advice to those who ask and need it

-care

Proverbs 1:7- “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction”…true story

Sheldon Fleming

No comments:

Post a Comment